SIR WILLIAM RUSSELL FLINT
The son of the artist Francis Wighton Flint, captain of the High Constables of Edinburgh, William Russell Flint was born in Edinburgh in 1880. He was educated at Daniel Stewarts College and then moved to Edinburgh School of Art. He worked as a lithographer in Edinburgh before moving to London in 1900.
He studied at Heatherley's, turning to pure water-colour and producing many fine illustrations. During the First World War, he was in the R.N.V.R. and the R.A.F. working on airships. He married Sybille Sueter and they had one son, Francis Russell Flint.
He was elected an associate member of the Royal Academy in 1924 and a member of the Royal Academy in 1933. He was also elected President of the Royal Society of Painters in Water-colour three years later. He was awarded the honour of a Knighthood in 1947.
His early illustrative work in the tradition of Dulac and Rackham was very beautiful and he produced many fine landscapes of the water-colour medium which can be found in the British Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum and in at least eleven other major public galleries throughout the country.
There is little doubt that Flint is the finest water-colourist of his generation. He died in 1969.