Albert Lebourg was born in 1849. He initially trained as an architect at the École des Beaux Arts in Rouen. Throughout his life he travelled extensively, spending several years in Algeria as a drawing teacher for the École des Beaux-Arts in Algiers, and visiting different European countries which inspired many of his landscapes. He returned to Paris in 1878 with a new clarity and light in his painting and studied alongside Jean-Paul Laurens.Lebourg painted mainly in Auvergne, in Normandy and along the banks of the Seine. His impressionistic landscapes are imbued with a strong sense of structure and design which is apparent even in his most atmospheric scenes.
Lebourg exhibited in the Fourth Impressionist Exhibition of 1878. There were a total of fifteen exhibitors at the Fourth Exhibition (sixteen including Gauguin who was admitted too late to have his name listed in the catalogue.) Lebourg exhibited 30 works alongside Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro and Edgar Degas with great success. He later went on to exhibit 20 works at the Fifth Impressionist Exhibition of 1880. He was admitted to the Paris Salon in 1883 until 1895. In 1887 Lebourg exhibited at the acclaimed exhibition “Les XX exhibition” alongside Walter Sickert, Camille Pissarro, Berthe Morisot and Georges-Pierre Seurat. Lebourg’s work was well recieved and he went on to have further exhibitions of his work in 1909 and 1918 at the the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rouen and a further retrospective exhibition in Paris in 1918.Lebourg was named Chevalier of the Legion of Honour on 27 June 1903, and breveted Officer of the Legion of Honour 22 April 1924. A catalogue raisonné of 2,137 works was published in 1923.
His works are exhibited at the Musee d’Orsay, Petit-Palais and Carnavalet in Paris, as well as museums in Bayonne, Clermont-Ferrand, Le Havre, Dunkerque, Lille, Strasbourg, Sceaux and in Rouen at the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rouen (Depeaux collection).