GP%20Graves%20-%20Teal3%20copy%20(2)_edi

a word on art

Eight Years on Beauchamp Place: Our History




The path to Beauchamp Place, in the prestigious pocket of London’s Knightsbridge, has been a distinguished two and a half century journey.

The trajectory of the gallery’s celebrated history mirrors the verve of the period’s artistic output: full of high vision and cultivated achievement. The company’s origins are to be found in Gladwell & Company, founded by John Boydell in 1752. Boydell initially specialised in the commission of fine prints from the leading artist of the day. Reproductions, from Reynolds to Romney, were his stock in trade. However, expansion was swift. Oils, watercolours, and all further variations of printmaking, such as etching and mezzotinting soon shared his gallery’s walls.

Ownership of the gallery passed through two Lord Mayors of London – it’s founder Boydell and Sir Francis Moon. Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, King George V, Queen Mary and the Prince of Wales all granted the firm Royal Warrants as, variously, printmakers, publishers and art dealers.

In the early 19th century Thomas Henry Gladwell (1811–1879) oversaw the gallery and, as with much of the company’s early history, its services varied from art dealing to printer and stationer to engraver and framer. On his death the business passed to his two sons, Henry William Gladwell (1834–1893) and Alfred Thomas Gladwell (1841–1906). So was born Gladwell Brothers, a partnership which was to last for a little over a decade before the brothers went their separate ways.